Linked Data Explorer
Standing in the sun : a life of J.M.W. Turner
- ""Joseph Mallord William Turner was one of the greatest artists of the nineteenth century. The son of a Covent Garden barber, he rose rapidly to fame in the art world and then dominated it for over forty years. His oil paintings, watercolours and sketches frequently reflect the era, a time of rapid social change affected by political upheaval, war and industrial revolution. Yet despite an enduring reputation as a visionary painter Turner has remained in many ways a mysterious figure. A secretive man, he was also full of contradictions: reclusive yet gregarious, private yet boastful, tough yet sensitive. He was also a long-term bachelor who clandestinely fathered two daughters. Much has been written about Turner's life, and many exuberant anecdotes passed down. The challenge, as Anthony Bailey discovered during his investigations, is to distinguish plain fact from elaborate fabrication. As well as unearthing fresh material and reappraising existing information, he has looked at many of Turner's paintings and sketches at first hand, but this has always been with the aim of reassessing the man rather than the works." -- Back cover."
- "Joseph Mallord William Turner, Britain's greatest and most mysterious artist, was the son of a Convent Garden barber and a woman who died in Bethlehem Mental Hospital. During his lifetime (1775-1851), Turner achieved fame and fortune for a range of work encompassing seascape and landscape, immensely powerful oil paintings and intimate watercolors. His friend and colleague C. R. Leslie remembered him thus: "Turner was short and stout, and had a sturdy, sailor-like walk. He might be taken for the captain of a steamboat at first glance; but a second would find more in his face than belongs in any ordinary mind. There was the peculiar keenness of expression in his eye that is only seen in men of constant habits of observation.""
- "Biografieën (vorm)"
- "Electronic books"@en
- "Standing in the sun : a life of J.M.W. Turner"
- "Standing in the sun : a life of J.M.W. Turner"@en
- "Standing in the sun a life of J.M.W. Turner"@en
- "Standing in the sun : a life of J. M. W. Turner"
- "Standing in the sun"@en
- "Standing in the Sun : a life of J M. W. Turner"@en