Linked Data Explorer
Fighting for common ground how we can fix the stalemate in Congress
A spirited call to action by Olympia J. Snowe, the iconic moderate and three-term Republican senator from Maine.
- "An outspoken centrist, Senator Snowe stunned Washington in February 2012 when she announced she would not seek a fourth term and offered a sharp rebuke to the Senate, citing the dispiriting gridlock and polarization. After serving in the legislative branch at the state and federal levels for 40 years, including 18 years in the U.S. Senate, she explained that Washington wasn't solving the big problems anymore. In this timely call to action, she explores the roots of her belief in principled policy-making and bipartisan compromise. A leading moderate with a reputation for crossing the aisle, Senator Snowe proposes solutions for bridging the partisan divide in Washington, most notably through a citizens' movement to hold elected officials accountable. Senator Snowe recounts how the tragedies and triumphs of her personal story helped shape her political approach. The book includes anecdotes from throughout her career, and addresses her working relationships with Presidents Reagan through Obama, Senator Ted Kennedy, Majority Leader Bob Dole, and many others. As a senior member of the powerful Senate Finance Committee, the high-profile Commerce and Intelligence Committees, and the Senate Small Business Committee, Senator Snowe has been directly involved with the most talked-about legislative challenges of recent decades: the country's response to 9/11; the 2008 financial crisis; the Affordable Healthcare Act; the debt ceiling debacle, and much more. This book draws on the lessons she's learned as a policymaker, and the frustration she shares with the American people about the government's dwindling productivity. Senator Snowe passionately argues that the government has now lost its way, shows how this happened, and proposes ways for the world's greatest deliberative body to, once again, fulfill its mission."
- "A spirited call to action by Olympia J. Snowe, the iconic moderate and three-term Republican senator from Maine."@en
- "Electronic books"@en
- "Fighting for common ground how we can fix the stalemate in Congress"@en
- "Fighting for common ground : how we can fix the stalemate in Congress"
- "Fighting for common ground : how we can fix the stalemate in Congress"@en