Linked Data Explorer
Sequel to Le Guin's brilliant GIFTS, the second in her Annals of the Western Shore.
- "Sequel to Le Guin's brilliant GIFTS, the second in her Annals of the Western Shore."@en
- "Young Memer takes on a pivotal role in freeing her war-torn homeland from its oppressive captors--Résumé de l'éditeur."
- "Ansul was once a peaceful town filled with libraries, schools, and temples. But that was long ago, and the conquerors of this coastal city consider reading and writing to be acts punishable by death. And they believe the Oracle House, where the last few undestroyed books are hidden, is seething with demons. But to seventeen-year-old Memer, the house is a refuge, a place of family and learning, ritual and memory--the only place where she feels truly safe. Then an Uplands poet named Orrec and his wife, Gry, arrive, and everything in Memer's life begins to change. Will she and the people of Ansul at last be brave enough to rebel against their oppressors?"
- "When the Alds took the beautiful city of Ansul, they desecrated everything of beauty. The Waylord they imprisoned and tortured for years; though crippled, he is not destroyed. His life still has purpose. Memer is the daughter of his House, the daughter of his heart. The Alds, a people who love war, cannot and will not read: they believe that in words lie demons that will destroy the world. All the city's libraries, the great treasure trove of knowledge of ages past, are burned, except for those few volumes secreted in the Waylord's hidden room. But times are changing. Gry Barre of Roddmant and Orrec Caspro of Caspromant have arrived in the city. Orrec is a story-teller, the most famous of all: he has the gift of making. His wife Gry's gift is that of calling; she walks with a half lion who both frightens and fascinates the Alds. This is Memer's story, and Gry's and Orrec's, and it is the story of a conquered people craving freedom."@en
- "Young Memer takes on a pivotal role in freeing her war-torn homeland from its oppressive captors."
- "Young Memer takes on a pivotal role in freeing her war-torn homeland from its oppressive captors."@en
- "Childrens stories."
- "Powieść amerykańska dla młodzieży"
- "Juvenile works"@en
- "Juvenile works"
- "Fantasy & magical realism (Children's/YA) (Children's)"@en
- "Children's stories."
- "Children's stories."@en
- "Fantasy fiction."@en
- "Fantasy fiction."
- "Fantasy fiction"
- "Fantasy fiction"@en
- "Electronic books."
- "Powieść fantastyczna amerykańska"
- "Voices /"
- "Voices /"@en