Linked Data Explorer
A dramatised version of the classic play by Sophocles.
- "Antigone (in English)"@en
- "A dramatised version of the classic play by Sophocles."@en
- "Howard Sackler directs this production of Sophocles' Antigone starring Doroty Tutin, Max Adrian jeremy Brett, Eileen Atkins, Geoffery Dunn."@en
- "Classic Greek drama of moral law vs. civil law."@en
- "Drama by Sophocles, possibly performed in 442 or 441 BC. It examines the conflicting obligations of civic duties versus personal loyalties and religious mores. Antigone concerns that part of the Oedipus story that occurs after Eteocles and Polyneices have killed each other over the succession to the throne of Thebes. Antigone's uncle Creon succeeds to the throne and decrees that anyone who buries the dishonored Polyneices will face capital punishment. Antigone, however, obeys her instincts of love and loyalty and defies the orders of her uncle, willing to face the consequences of her act of humanity. Believing that civic duty outweighs family ties, Creon refuses to commute Antigone's death sentence. By the time he is finally persuaded to free Antigone, she has killed herself. The discovery of her body prompts Creon's son, Haemon, to kill himself out of love and sympathy for the dead Antigone, and Creon's wife, Eurydice, then kills herself out of grief over these tragic events. At the play's end Creon is left desolate and broken.-Merriam-Webster Encyclopedia Literature."
- "Oedipus, the former ruler of Thebes, has died. Now, when his young daughter Antigone defiles her uncle, Kreon, the new ruler, because he has prohibited the burial of her dead brother, she and he enact a primal conflict between young and old, woman and man, individual and ruler, family and state, courageous and self-sacrificing reverence for the gods of the earth and perhaps self-serving allegiance to the gods of the sky. Echoing through Western culture for more than two millennia, Sophocles' Antigone has been a touchstone of thinking about human conflict and human tragedy, the role of the divine in human life, and the degree to which men and women are the creators of their own destinies.-Dust jacket."
- "Produced for units HUI309, HUI409 offered by the Faculty of Humanities in Deakin University's Open Campus Program."@en
- "Produced for units ASP319 and ASP419 (Varieties of ethics) offered by the Faculty of Arts' School of Social Inquiry in Deakin University's Open Campus Program."@en
- "Genres littéraires"
- "Greek drama"@en
- "Antigone : tragedie"
- "Antigone : [an English version by Dudley Fitts and Robert Fitzgerald]"@en