Linked Data Explorer
Letters from the earth uncensored writings
Satiric essays revealing bitterness; also "vintage Twain: witty, imaginative, sometimes wildly funny."
- "Satiric essays revealing bitterness; also "vintage Twain: witty, imaginative, sometimes wildly funny.""@en
- ""I have told you nothing about man that is not true." You must pardon me if I repeat that remark now and then in these letters; I want you to take seriously the things I am telling you, and I feel that if I were in your place and you in mine, I should need that reminder from time to time, to keep my credulity from flagging. In Letters from the Earth, Twain presents himself as the Father of History -- reviewing and interpreting events from the Garden of Eden through the Fall and the Flood, translating the papers of Adam and his descendants through the generations. First published fifty years after his death, this eclectic collection is vintage Twain: sharp, witty, imaginative, complex, and wildly funny."@en
- "A collection of letters and essays by the author of, "Tom Sawyer.""@en
- "Foreword / by Henry Nash Smith. -- Letters from the Earth. -- Papers of the Adam family: Extract from Methuselah's diary ; A later extract from Methuselah's diary ; Extract from Eve's autobiography ; Passage from Eve's autobiography ; The world in the year 920 after creation ; Two fragments from a suppressed book called "Glances at history" or "Outlines of history" ; Extract from Shem's diary of 920 A.C. -- Letter to the Earth. -- A cat-tale. -- Cooper's prose style. -- Official report to the I.I.A.S. -- The Gorky incident. -- Simplified spelling. -- Something about repentance. -- From an English notebook: The Albert Memorial ; Old Saint Paul's ; The British Museum. -- From the manuscript of "A tramp abroad": the French and the Comanches. -- From an unfinished burlesque of books on etiquette: At the funeral ; At a fire ; Visiting cards. -- The damned human race: Was the world made for man? ; In the animals' court ; Zola's La terre ; The intelligence of God ; The lowest animal. -- The great dark."
- "Sketches and pieces from Twain's lesser known works. First prepared in 1939 by Bernard DeVoto and now presented with his notes and introduction."@en
- "Sketches and pieces from Twain's lesser known works. First prepared in 1939 by Bernard DeVoto and now presented with his notes and introduction."
- ""Letters from the earth" is one of Mark Twain's posthumously published works. The essays were written during a difficult time in Twain's life; he was deep in debt and had lost his wife and one of his daughters. The book consists of a series of short stories, many of which deal with God and Christianity. Twain penned a series of letters from the point-of-view of a dejected angel on Earth. This title story consists of letters written by the archangel Satan to archangels, Gabriel and Michael, about his observations on the curious proceedings of earthly life and the nature of man's religions. By analyzing the idea of heaven and God that is widely accepted by those who believe in both, Twain is able to take the silliness that is present and study it with the common sense that is absent. Not so much an attack as much as a cold dissection. Other short stories in the book include a bedtime story about a family of cats Twain wrote for his daughters, and an essay explaining why an anaconda is morally superior to Man. Twain's writings in Letters From the Earth find him at perhaps his most quizzical and questioning state ever."
- "Electronic books"@en
- "Electronic books"
- "Genres littéraires"
- "Letters from the earth by Mark Twain [pseud.]"
- "Letters from the earth uncensored writings"
- "Letters from the earth uncensored writings"@en
- "Letters from the earth : With a pref. by Henry Nash Smith"
- "Letters From the Earth"@en
- "Letters from the Earth : ed. by Bernard DeVoto"
- "Letters from the earth. Edited by Bernard De Voto, etc"@en
- "Letters from the earth [and other stories]"
- "Letters From The Earth"@en
- "Letters from the earth"
- "Letters from the earth"@en
- "Letters from the earth : uncensored writings"
- "Letters from the earth : uncensored writings"@en
- "Letters from the Earth"
- "Letters from the Earth"@en