Linked Data Explorer
The Sufferings of Young Werther. Translated by Bayard Quincy Morgan
- "CLASSIC FICTION. Presented as a collection of confessional letters written by the eponymous protagonist, "The Sorrows of Young Werther" charts the emotional journey of a young man who, during a stay in a picturesque German village, falls in love with Lotte, a local woman engaged to another man. As he realizes that his passion is doomed to failure and constant pain, Werther contemplates taking the most drastic measures. Partly autobiographical, and the prototype for many later Romantic works in its depiction of the sensitive, tortured Romantic hero, Goethe's seminal classic is a timeless masterpiece of world literature."
- ""This . . . is a new annotated translation . . . in which Corngold follows the German text closely, never knowingly using a word that was not current in English at the time the novel was written. "Backgrounds and Contexts" contains letters and diary entries written by Goethe and Johann Christian Kestner, the husband of Charlotte Buff, as well as lampoons by Friedrich Nicolai and William Makepeace Thackeray, and excerpts from Goethe's Autobiography. 'Criticism' brings together critical selections by Harry Steinhauer, Roland Barthes, R. Ellis Dye, David Wellbery, and Hans Rudolf Vaget, as well as a piece translated for this edition by Dirk von Petersdorff, and a selection by Christine Frey and David Martyn, written for this edition. A Chronology of Goethe's life, and a Selected Bibliography, are also included"--"
- "Classic fiction"
- "Erzählende Literatur: Hauptwerk vor 1945"
- "German fiction"
- "The Sufferings of young Werther [An epistolary novel]"
- "The Sufferings of Young Werther. Translated by Bayard Quincy Morgan"@en
- "The sufferings of young Werther. Die Leiden des Jungen Werther"
- "The Sufferings of young Werther. Die Leiden des jungen Werther ... Edited by Harry Steinhauer ... with a translation, critical introduction, notes and vocabulary by the editor"@en
- "The sufferings of young Werther / Johann Wolfgang von Goethe"@en
- "The sufferings of young Werther. Die Leiden des jungen Werther"
- "The sufferings of young Werther"
- "The sufferings of young Werther"@en
- "The sufferings of young Werther; translated by Bayard Quincy Morgan"@en
- "Sufferings of young Werther"@en
- "The Sufferings of young Werther"