Linked Data Explorer
The Portable Mentor Expert Guide to a Successful Career in Psychology
- "The ten year anniversary of the book offers an excellent opportunity to publish a second edition. Several aspects of the book have evolved considerably since its first printing. For instance, substantial revision to the internship, licensure, and certification processes has occurred, and are reflected in this resource. Much of the literature on clinical psychology, cultural sensitivity, and the current job market is updated. Changes in technology have large effects on teaching and practicing clinical psychology. These modifications are neededÂ to offer appropriate and updated information for students. In short, virtually every chapter has substantial modification to ensure that the material is accurate and up to date."
- "All students know that you don't learn everything in the classroom, and that having a mentor can be an invaluable help in negotiating career challenges and pitfalls. But not even a mentor can have all of the answers all the time. The Portable Mentor was designed to combine the wisdom of a wide range of noted psychology experts whose knowledge and training experience provide you with the guidance you need. Based on the real-life concerns of students and beginning professionals, this volume will take you from graduate school to career development and beyond. Comprehensive in scope, but practical to use, The Portable Mentor offers the best possible professional development training from the most successful leaders in psychology. The book is divided into five sections that thoroughly cover issues relevant to each stage of early career development and that explore in depth research, practice and personal growth. This volume will answer many questions including how to: ? -write a grant; -teach a class; -publish a research manuscript; -apply for a postdoctoral fellowship; -start a thriving clinical practice; -and more..."
- "Written for students and early career psychologists, The Portable Mentor, Second Edition is a professional development handbook with practical guidelines and suggestions for mastering virtually every professional task encountered during the first decade of a career in psychology. Fully updated and expanded from the first edition this volume covers a wider range of topics and some completely new chapters featuring more detailed information on how and when to apply for graduate school. Comprehensive in scope, but practical in use, The Portable Mentor offers the best possible training from the most successful leaders in psychology, combining the wisdom and mentorship of noted psychology experts into a single source.Praise for the first edition:"What a great idea for a book! Edited by two former chairs of the American Psychological Association of Graduate Students (APAGS), this book covers, in a comprehensive fashion, everything about graduate school and career planning a psychologist in training usually learns by word-of-mouth! It's about time someone compiled this crucial information. Whether one is headed for a research or a clinical career, all of the practical steps to get there are included. And, "The Portable Mentor" is an apt description. Every graduate student and young professional will want to have this book readily available." - David H. Barlow, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology, Research Professor of Psychiatry, Director of Clinical Programs, and Director of the Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders at Boston University"Prinstein and Patterson have recruited a veritable who's who of psychology to provide us a well-written, scholarly, and comprehensive guide to a successful career in psychology. The volume is filled with critical commentary and issues confronting clinical psychology and with practical and well-reasoned advice on how to negotiate many of the muddy and troubled waters that characterize our field of study in the new millennium. I wish I'd had such a book in my "back pocket" upon my graduation some years ago!" - Thomas H. Ollendick, Ph.D., University Distinguished Professor, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University"In diverse chapters by active and leading experts, "The Portable Mentor" provides insightful commentaries and bullet-lists of ideas to facilitate early career advancement in psychology. Want to review a research literature, arrange a positive teaching experience, navigate a dissertation? Or perhaps your questions concern practica, internship, licensure, private practice, or board certification or ethics, or being active in service organizations, or even balancing a career and a family. For any and all, and more, "The Portable Mentor" provides pathways to a productive early career. And for those already into their career, advice on how to be a good mentor to our future. Indeed, for psychologists at countless points in their careers, "The Portable Mentor" is a very worthwhile read." - Philip C. Kendall, Ph.D., ABPP, Laura H. Carnell Professor of Psychology, Temple University."
- "Electronic books."@en
- "Electronic books."
- "The portable mentor expert guide to a successful career in psychology"
- "The Portable Mentor Expert Guide to a Successful Career in Psychology"@en
- "The Portable Mentor Expert Guide to a Successful Career in Psychology"
- "The Portable Mentor: Expert Guide to a Successful Career in Psychology"
- "The portable mentor expert guide to a successful career in psychology /"
- "The portable mentor expert guide to a successful career in psychology /"@en
- "The portable mentor : expert guide to a successful career in psychology /"
- "The Portable Mentor Expert Guide to a Successful Career in Psychology /"