Linked Data Explorer
Looks at the life of the father of Communism, focusing primarily on the human side of the man rather than his works.
- "Looks at the life of the father of Communism, focusing primarily on the human side of the man rather than his works."@en
- "Looks at the life of the father of Communism focusing primarily on the human side of the man rather than his works."
- "Little about Marx was left undiscovered by David McLellan's highly regarded Karl Marx: His Life and Thought , but left-leaning British journalist Wheen attempts to add some new understanding. Wheen does correct a small error that McLellan advanced about Charles Darwin's non-relationship with Marx, but otherwise his book is notable less for the quality of the scholarship--which is solid enough than for his deft portraiture. Wheen's Marx is often charming and likable--and just as often not. An earlier generation of biographers depicted an impoverished Marx dependent upon the generosity of collaborator Frederick Engels, but Wheen demonstrates that Marx actually led a bourgeois lifestyle beyond his means--mostly for the sake of his daughters, whom he adored. Engels seemed to regard Marx almost as a fortunate younger sibling would a brilliant but unlucky older brother. Wheen's book is engagingly written, but his editors have done him a disservice by retaining an overabundance of British colloquialisms that simply do not travel well across the pond. Still, Wheen's compelling depiction of the truly historic Marx-Engels friendship combines with a bold prose style to commend his book to serious academic and public libraries--Library Journal."
- "This biography presents Karl Marx as a man of both brilliance and frailty, as a poverty-stricken Prussian emigre who became a middle-class English gentleman, as an angry agitator, as a gregarious and convivial host and as a devoted family man."
- "Biografieën (vorm)"
- "Electronic books."
- "Biographie (Descripteur de forme)"
- "Karl Marx [životopis]"
- "Karl Marx a life"
- "Karl Marx : en biografi /"@sv
- "Karl Marx"
- "Karl Marx"@en
- "Karl Marx : biografia /"
- "Karl Marx /"@fi
- "Karl Marx /"
- "Karl Marx /"@pt
- "Karl Marx /"@es
- "Karl Marx : a life /"@en
- "Karl Marx : a life /"