Linked Data Explorer
Working in the Virtual Stacks the New Library and Information Science
Written in a warm and personal style, Working in the Virtual Stacks presents an exciting future for librarians, already upon us today!
- "Written in a warm and personal style, Working in the Virtual Stacks presents an exciting future for librarians, already upon us today!"@en
- "Thanks in part to technology, the boundaries of library positions are dissolving. It is no longer practical to discuss the profession in terms of traditional library types, and in today's library, the relationship between librarians and technology is stronger than ever. In this informative volume, veteran author Laura Townsend Kane interviews dozens of practicing librarians who are highly involved with technology as part of their day-to-day jobs. Revealing the full richness of the profession, Kane profiles web-services librarians in all types of settings, from veterinary medicine and law to astronomy, market research, and cataloging. She offers insights into career opportunities in the library world by challenging traditional notions of what a librarian does and shows examples of real-world librarianship in the fields of technology instruction, digital futures, virtual libraries, and even librarians as entrepreneurs. This book is divided into five chapters. Chapter 1, Librarians as Subject Specialists, contains the following: (1) Engineering and Computer Science (Catherine Lavallee-Welch); (2) Clinical Medicine (Lynn Baltimore); (3) Law (Stephanie Midkiff); (4) General Reference (Peter Sprenkle); (5) Business (Elizabeth B. Kudwa); (6) Veterinary Medicine (Vicki F. Croft); (7) Health Sciences (Dolores Zegar Judkins); (8) Cataloging and Astronomy (David Bigwood); and (9) Business (Roslyn Donald). Chapter 2, Librarians as Technology Gurus and Social Networkers, contains the following: (10) Technology Innovation, Technology Consulting (Michael Sauers); (11) Community Technology Instruction, Web Design (Jessamyn West); (12) Community Technology Outreach (Michele Lipson); (13) Library Systems and it Operations (Greg Schwartz); (14) Instructional Initiatives and Social Software (Meredith Farkas); (15) Digital Futures, Web Presence, Social Software (Sarah Houghton-Jan); (16) Virtual Libraries and Multi-Type Library Systems (Lori Bell); (17) Multi-Type Library Systems and Virtual Reference (Rhonda Bridges Trueman); (18) Digital Resources and Social Software (David Lee King); and (19) Online Learning Communities and Technology Consulting (Michael Porter). Chapter 3, Librarians as Teachers and Community Liaisons, contains the following: (20) Graduate Library School Professor (Michael Stephens); (21) School Library Media Specialist (Jeannine M. Brown); (22) Associate Dean of Libraries and Library School Professor (Scott Walter); (23) User Experience Librarian (Brian Mathews); (24) Outreach Librarian (University Library) (Darren G. Poley); and (25) Outreach Librarian (Public Library) (Brigid Cahalan). Chapter 4, Librarians as Entrepreneurs, contains the following: (26) The Organized Library--Library Organization Consulting (Judith Tapiero); (27) MarketingBase--Market Intelligence Research (Amelia Kassel); (28) Wordmaps Indexing--Freelance Indexing (Nancy K. Humphreys); (29) Aaron Cohen Associates, Ltd.--Library Planning and Consulting (Alexander H. Cohen); and (30) Himmel and Wilson--Library Consulting (Bill Wilson). Chapter 5, Librarians as Administrators, contains the following: (31) Executive Director, Public Library (Steve Podgajny); (32) Academic Dean, University Library System (Catherine A. Quinlan); (33) Director, Health Sciences Library (Gerald Perry); and (34) Associate University Librarian (Steven J. Bell). An index is included."@en
- "Verenigde Staten"
- "Reports - Descriptive"@en
- "Job descriptions"@en
- "Job descriptions"
- "Electronic books"@en
- "Collected Works - General"@en
- "Livres électroniques"
- "Working in the Virtual Stacks the New Library and Information Science"@en
- "Working in the Virtual Stacks: The New Library and Information Science"@en
- "Working in the virtual stacks the new library & information science"@en
- "Working in the virtual stacks : the new library and information science"
- "Working in the virtual stacks the new library and information science"
- "Working in the virtual stacks : the new library & information science"