Linked Data Explorer
An Indian Cyrano de Bergerac, about the relationship between an extraordinary street boy and the enemy who came to help.
- "An Indian Cyrano de Bergerac, about the relationship between an extraordinary street boy and the enemy who came to help."@en
- "Ever since he can remember, Animal has gone on all fours, the catastrophic result of what happened on That Night when, thanks to an American chemical company, the Apocalypse visited his slum. Now not quite twenty, he leads a hand-to-mouth existence with his dog Jara and a crazy old nun called Ma Franci, and spends his nights fantasising about Nisha, the daughter of a local musician, and wondering what it must be like to get laid. When a young American doctor, Elli Barber, comes to town to open a free clinic for the still suffering townsfolk - only to find herself struggling to convince them that she isn't there to do the dirty work of the 'Kampani' - Animal plunges into a web of intrigues, scams and plots with the unabashed aim of turning events to his own advantage. Compellingly honest, entertaining and entirely without self-pity, Animal's account lights our way into his dark world with flashes of pure joy - from the very first page all the way to the story's explosive ending."@en
- "Ever since he can remember, Animal has gone on all fours, his back twisted beyond repair by the catastrophic events of "that night," when a burning fog of poison smoke from the local factory (shades of Bhopal) blazed out over the town of Khaufpur, and the Apocalypes visited his slums. Now just turned seventeen, he spends his days jamisponding (spying) on town officials and looking after the elderly nun who raised him. When Elli Barbar, a young American doctor, arrives in Khaufpur to open a free clinic for the still-suffering townsfolk--only to find herself struggling to convince them that she isn't there to do the dirty work of the Kampani--Animal plots to turn events to his own advantage."--Back cover"
- "-- Animal's People illuminates a dark world shot through with flashes of joy and lunacy. A stunning tale of an unforgettable character, it is an unflinching look at what it means to be human: the wounds that never heal and a spirit that will not be quenched."@en
- "Ever since That Night, the residents of Khaufpur have lived a perilous existence. Their world is poisoned. Nobody has received compensation or help for the chemical leak, least of all Animal, as he is known, whose spine twisted at a young age, leaving him to walk on all fours. Though he inhabits a dark kind of half-life, he knows what love is. He has long harboured feelings for his friend Nisha but since she is enamoured of his friend Zafar he cannot even allow himself to hope. When Elli Barber arrives, an "Amrikan" keen to set up a free clinic to help the victims of the disaster, deep suspicion arises amongst the community. Animal resolves to turn the situation to his advantage and starts to investigate Elli's motives."
- "Science fiction"
- "Humorous fiction - gsafd."
- "Electronic books."@en
- "Roman indien (de l'Inde) de langue anglaise"
- "Humorous fiction."@en
- "Humorous fiction."
- "Science fiction - gsafd."
- "Humorous fiction"
- "Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)"@en
- "Animal's people"
- "Animal's people"@en
- "Animal's People."
- "Animal's People A Novel/"@en
- "Animal's people /"
- "Animal's people /"@en