Linked Data Explorer
Art Blakey the jazz messenger /
- "A portrait of jazz drummer Art Blakey."
- "This portrait of jazz drummer Art Blakey, teacher of jazz musicians from Clifford Brown to Wynton Marsalis, celebrates musicians past and present, and their commitment to the future of jazz music. Conversations with Dizzy Gillespie and Walter Davis, Jr., Roy Haynes, Wayne Shorter and Blakey himself capture the spirit of bebop and are supplemented by archival footage of Blakey and the Billy Eckstine Band. Benny Golson, Curtis Fuller, Bobby Watson Wynton Marsalis and others express their feelings for "the indestructible Buhaina." The tape also records Blakey's collaboration with young British musicians and dancers. Blakey rehearses and performs in a jazz show for young people featuring Blakey's Big Band, the Harrison/Blanchard Messengers and Courtney Pine's Jazz Warriors. Blakey-propelled dances are created with IDJ (I Dance Jazz) and the Jazz Defektors. Concert sequences were filmed live at the Shaw Theatre in London as part of the 1986 Camden Festival. Club footage was recorded in New York City at Sweet Basil and Mikell's."
- "Combines conversations among musicians who have worked with Blakey with sequences of Blakey teaching and performing to profile Blakey's career in jazz."
- "Art Blakey the jazz messenger /"
- "Jazz messenger"
- "Art Blakey, the jazz messenger"
- "Art Blakey: the jazz messenger"